Georgia weather can be unpredictable. Some winters are mild, while others are brutally cold and icy. Is your residential or commercial heating system ready in case the South dips below freezing this winter season?
There are several important steps to take in order to ensure that your system is ready to heat your home through the winter. Don’t wait to prepare until the first major cold front arrives.
Below are some do-it-yourself suggestions for preparing your system for the chilly months ahead.
- Remove all flammable items away from the heating system.
- Ensure all vents are open, free of dust and ready to blow heat properly into each room. Never allow furniture to block the flow of heat.
- Clean or replace your air filter. If your filter is dirty, the airflow can be limited or even blocked. Your system will have to work harder to function.
- Check the blower belt. If it is frayed or cracked, it needs to be replaced. If it’s loose, your system will be working overtime. Sometimes the belt may only need a few drops of oil to get it working properly. Check the owner’s manual for further instructions. If you are still uncertain, have a qualified professional take a look at the belt.
- Examine the exhaust flue to the outside for possible obstructions. All connections leading from the furnace to the roof cap should be fastened and in good condition.
If you live in the Alpharetta, Duluth or surround metro areas, call our Atlanta heating experts for emergency repairs or to schedule an evaluation of your system by a heating professional. We can answer all of your questions and help you prepare for the winter season.