With the arctic air that is gripping most of the country, probably the last thing on your mind is your air conditioner. However, before you know it, it will be hot and you’ll be depending on your air conditioner for comfort. Of course, the fact of the matter is that sometimes air conditioners break.
Here are a list of the most common reasons why your air conditioner may not work.
- A/C unit simply doesn’t run – When your A/C unit won’t turn on, it’s usually the result of one of three common issues: your thermostat is broken, you’ve tripped a breaker or you have a clogged vent.
- You’re hearing strange noises coming from your unit – You should expect to hear some noise coming from your A/C unit; however, noises that sound like the unit is rattling or squealing are not normal. These could indicate larger problems that you’ll want to have a professional check out.
- A/C unit physically working, but not blowing cold air – This is likely the result of having a low refrigerant level. You’ll need to contact a professional because refrigerant is toxic and needs to be added in specific measurements. In addition, low levels likely means you have a leak.
- Inaccurate thermostat – Sometimes thermostat sensors are knocked out of place, which make your A/C unit run incorrectly. If you’re able, gently bend the sensor back in place or, to be on the safe side, contact a professional.
- Frozen coils – Having your coils freeze is not uncommon and can be an indication of dirty filters, clogged ducts and/or low refrigerant. Prevention includes regularly changing your air filters.
Once your home thaws from the winter freeze, it’s best to check your cooling system ahead of the summer heat. In order to make sure your family will be comfortable this summer, schedule an appointment with metro-Atlanta’s premier air conditioning specialists at Gagne A/C early.
Gagne’s service area extends to residents and businesses in Norcross, Chamblee, Duluth, Alpharetta and all communities in the metro-Atlanta region.